A perfect authentic Latin themed dish ready for chicken and stewed meats.
Ingredients Chicken in Mole Sauce:
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 2 Dried Guajillo chilies, remove stems and seeds
- 2 Dried Ancho chilies, remove stems and seeds 3 Dried Chipotle chilies, remove stems and seeds
- 2 Corn Tortillas cut in 1 inch strips
- 2 Tomatoes cut in half
- 5 Tomatillos cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon cooking shortening
- 1 Onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- ½ Head of garlic peeled
- 1/3 Cup of chopped peanuts
- ¼ Cup raisins
- 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 5 Whole cloves
- 6 Allspice berries
- 5 Oz dark chocolate coarsely ground
- 1 Tablespoon chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon
- 1 Tablespoon salt
1. Toast all chilies in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until warm and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the blender and add chicken broth.
2. Heat 2 cups chicken broth in a saucepan until it begins to simmer, about 5 minutes. Pour broth into a blender.
3. Toast dinner a roll or sour dough toast piece and tortilla strips in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the blender with chicken broth and chilies
4. Allow the chilies and toasted bread and tortillas to soak, fully submerged, in the chicken broth until softened, about 10 minutes. Blend the mixture until smooth.
5. Cook tomatoes and tomatillos in a dry skillet on medium-high heat until soft and blackened, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place tomatoes in the blender with the chili puree.
6. Melt lard in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, peanuts, raisins, cumin seeds, thyme, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice berries; cook and stir until onions are soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and other whole spices; add onion mixture to the blender with the chili-tomato mixture and blend until smooth.
7. Pour chili puree into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in chocolate chicken broth, sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer; stir until chocolate is melted and sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Take roasted chicken thighs or legs and cover with the sauce. Optionally, you can take the chicken thighs or legs and place in the container with the mix heating 10 to 15 minutes to add additional flavor.
Serve and enjoy....
Learn more about great CHOCOLATE from a seasoned purveyor
We realize that this may not be a traditional barbecue recipe but we couldn't resist having it on our pages. We traveled to Mexico one year after working around Nogales, Arizona we gathered our crew and ended up at a restaurant somewhat near to the border. The odd thing while in the restaurant I heard a voice I hadn't heard in years and lo and behold it was a guy I'd work with about 5 years earlier. We talked over old times and each had the Chicken in Mole and the meal was wonderful. The meal was so good that I decided to get their recipe and place it on our site for the adventurous. If you like a challenge and the results of a really great meal then try this Chicken in Mole Sauce you won't regret it.
This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 20 September, 2017.